Chairperson – Nominee of the Vice-Chancellor
Research Institute Directors
Head of Research Office
Chair of Research Programmes Sub Committee
Four persons nominated by the chairperson on the basis of their experience and expertise
The four faculty Postgraduate Research Student Voice Representatives
One Faculty Ethics Champion nominated by the University Ethics Sub Group
Secretary – Nominee of the Head of Research Office
Research Institute Directors:
Professor Damian Bailey (Science and Health)
Professor Trevor Bennett (Humanities Creative Industries, Social Sciences)
Professor Alan Guwy (Energy and the Environment)
Professor Hamish Fyfe (Co-Director Computing & Digital Economy)
Professor Doug Tudhope (Co-Director Computing & Digital Economy)
Head of Research Office:
Dr Louise Bright
Chair of Research Programmes Sub Committee:
Professor Paul Roach
Four persons nominated by the chairperson on the basis of their experience and expertise:
Professor Steven Blandford
Professor Fiona Brookman
The four faculty Postgraduate Research Student Voice Representatives:
One Faculty Ethics Champion nominated by the University Ethics Sub Group:
Professor Howard Williamson (shared membership)
Dr Paul Messenger (shared membership)
Dr Sarah Theobald – Research Excellence Manager, Research Office
Terms of Reference
1. To develop, implement and review a research strategy for the University.
2. To develop, implement and review a scholarly activity strategy for the University.
3. To make recommendations to the Vice-Chancellor on research policy as well as the Research Excellence Framework.
4. To report to, and undertake any tasks allocated by Academic Board.
5. To uphold good research practice and governance.
6. To consider any matters relating to research or scholarship raised by faculties.
Meetings in 2018/19
The Research Committee will meet on Tuesdays at 1pm on the following dates (unless otherwise specified):
20 November 2018 (9.30am)
5 February 2019
7 May 2019
Chairperson: Nominee of the Chairperson of Research Committee
Members: Chairpersons of FRPCs
Nominees of the Chairperson (4)
Secretary: Nominee of the Head of the Research Office
Research Student Representatives (4)
Chairperson: Prof Paul Roach
Chairpersons of FRPCs:
Dr Andrew Thompson, Faculty of Business and Society
Professor Maggie Kirk, Faculty of Life Sciences and Education
Professor Steve Wilcox, Faculty of Computing, Engineering and Science
Professor Richard Hand, Faculty of Creative Industries
Nominees of the Chairperson:
Dr Eoin Plant, Faculty of Business and Society
Gideon Calder, Faculty of Business and Society
TBC, Faculty of Life Sciences and Education
Dr Barry Atkins, Faculty of Creative Industries
(Term of office of Nominees of Chair is 3 years)
Research student representatives:
Secretary: Dr Elaine Huntley, Research Office
Clerk: Sally Davies, Research Office
Terms of reference
1. To consider examination arrangements, including the approval of examiners.
2. To receive approval of and consider ethics issues.
3. To periodically review examiners’ reports.
4. To consider the recommendations of examiners for the conferment of research awards.
5. To audit the process of annual monitoring of research degree students and FRPCs.
6. To identify and disseminate good practice in the delivery of research degrees.
7. To make recommendations to the Research Committee and Quality Assurance Committee as appropriate.
8. To undertake such matters as required by Research Committee.
Meetings in 2018/19
The Research Programmes Sub-Committee will meet on Wednesdays at 1.30pm on the following dates:
19 September 2018
14 November 2018
23 January 2019
10 April 2019
19 June 2019