Other Groups - Membership and Terms of Reference

Innovation and Commercial Engagement Executive Group

Equality and Diversity Steering Group

Equality and Diversity Steering Group Sub-Groups:

Disability and Dyslexia Equality Sub-Group
Gender Equality Sub-Group
Race and Religion or Belief Equality Sub-Group

Health and Safety Committee

Joint Negotiating and Consultative Committee

Academic Common Interest Group

Senior Administration Forum

Space Management Group

Student Experience Group

Support Staff Common Interest Group

Further Education Common Interest Group

Timetabling Group

Welsh Lanuage Scheme Co-ordinating Group

National Student Survey Operational Group

Fees and Scholarship Group

Top of Page

Innovation and Commercial Engagement Executive Group

Composition

Deputy Vice-Chancellor with responsibility for Innovation and Engagement (Chair)
Director of Business Development
Faculty representation: 1 senior manager plus 1 or 2 operational
Commercial Services Office
European and External Resource Office
Research Office
Finance Department

Membership

Helen Marshall (Chair)
Julie Bellamy (CSO)
Lucas Brown (CSO)
Linda Evans (LSE)
John Francis (Dir)
Monica Gibson-Sweet (FBS)
Martin Greenway (Finance)
Alun Hughes (CSO)
Martyn Jeffries (Euro)
Owain Kerton (Research)
Vassilis Konstantinou (FAT)
Bobby Mehta (FBS)
Ed Morgan (LSE)
TBC (FBS)
Peter Robertson (CCI)
Gill Sandford (CCI)

Terms of Reference

To co-ordinate the development and delivery of externally funded projects to achieve an increase in income generation and allow informed decision making, project control and risk management.

Meetings in 2016/17

The Innovation and Commercial Engagement Executive Group will meet on Wednesdays at 09.30 on the following dates:

7 September 2016
7 December 2016
5 April 2017
26 July 2017

Top of Page

Equality and Diversity Steering Group

Composition

Chairperson: Vice-Chancellor’s nominee
Dean of Faculty or nominee at HoD level
Chairpersons of Race, Disability and Gender Equality Sub-Groups
Head of Centre for Excellence in Learning and Teaching
Directors of Human Resources, and Estates & Facilities
Disability and Dyslexia Manager, Student Services
Nominees of the Trade Unions Alliance
President of Students’ Union or representative
Up to two members co-opted by the Committee

Membership

Chairperson (Vice-Chancellor’s nominee): William Callaway (University Secretary)
Chairperson of Disability and Dyslexia Sub-Group: Andrew Rogers (Deputy Dean, FBS Also acting as Dean of FBS nominee)
Chairperson of Race Equality Sub-Group: Haydn Blackey (Head of CELT)
Chairperson of Gender Equality Sub-Group: Dr Louise Bright (Head of Research)
Dean of Faculty nominees:
Dr Karen Morris (LSE)
Dr Ruth Shade (UHOVI)
Brian Weir (RWCMD)
Judith Mulry (College, Merthyr Tydfil)
Dr Mark Griffiths (CES)
Huw Swayne (CI)
Director of Human Resources or nominee: Catherine Thomas
Director of Estates & Facilities: Stephen Godber
Director of IT Services: Kevin Evans
Director of Student Services/Disability and Dyslexia Manager: Sharon Jones/Val Norris
President of Students’ Union: Carys Thomas
Nominees of the Trade Unions Alliance: Terry Driscoll/Vida Greaux
Chaplaincy: Vaughan Rees
Secretary: Equality and Diversity Adviser

Terms of reference

1. To advise Executive, Board of Governors and other committees other internal groups to the University Group on all equality and diversity issues with particular reference to the protected characteristics as defined by the Equality Act 2010.
2. To support the planning and development and review of policy and taking an overall coordinating responsibility for equalities issues through the monitoring of the Strategic Equality Plan.
3. To establish sub-groups/working groups as required to advise on specific equalities matters.
4. Monitor and evaluate University policies and procedures relating to equalities legislation for both staff and students, in particular for compliance with the Equality Act and other internal equalities policies and procedures.
5. To consider and make recommendations on equalities staff development opportunities and disseminate examples of good practice throughout the University.
6. To establish working partnerships with appropriate external bodies to further foster best equalities practice within the institution.
7. To receive and evaluate equalities impact assessment reports on University policies and procedures.
8. To establish the means and method of monitoring instances of harassment though the University group recommending action as appropriate.

Meetings in 2016/17

The Equality and Diversity Steering Committee will meet on Thursdays at 2.00 pm on the following dates:

3 November 2016
9 February 2017
11 May 2017

Top of Page

Health and Safety Committee

Composition

Chairperson (Deputy Vice-Chancellor Strategic Resources)
Deans of Faculty/ Deputy
Director of Human Resources/Deputy
Director of Estates and Facilities/Deputy
Head of Campus Services/Deputy
Director of Student Support and Library Services/Deputy
Students Union President/Deputy
Union Representatives
Principal/Deputy – The College Merthyr Tydfil
Principal/Deputy – Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama
Occupational Health and Safety Services
Secretary (Deputy Health and Safety Officer)

Membership

Chairperson (Deputy Vice-Chancellor Strategic Resources) – Huw Williams
Occupational Health and Safety – Mike Salmon, Helen Jones, Wayne Jones
Operational Development – Catherine Thomas
Student Support and Campus Services – Dr Gillian Jack
Faculty of Business and Society – Karen Jones
Faculty of Computing, Engineering and Science – Kathryn Franklin
Faculty of Life Sciences and Education – Carl Peters
Faculty of Creative Industries – Barry Atkins
Estates and Facilities – Stephen Godber
Students’ Union – Mike Borley
The College Merthyr – Emma Childs
Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama – Emma Childs
Trade Union Health and Safety Representatives – Terry Driscoll, Richard Price, Gary Cox, Dan Beard, Nigel Gittings

Objectives

The main objectives of the Health and Safety Committee are as follows:-

•To meet the requirements of the relevant provisions of the appropriate sections of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act and of any other related legislation that may be in force from time to time.
•To initiate and develop new policies/ procedures on health and safety at work as and when appropriate.
•To act as a channel of two way communication and consultation between employees, through their safety representatives, and management

Functions

The functions of the Health and Safety Committee include:
•To receive and consider initiatives from the Vice Chancellor relating to health and safety at work.
•To consider reports and information provided by inspectors of the Health and Safety Executive.
•To consider reports and information provided by the Head of Occupational Health & Safety Services and other University officers or Committees.
•To consider reports submitted by appointed Safety Representatives.
•To assist in the development of Procedures and safe systems of work.
•To monitor and review the effectiveness of the various specific health and safety policies.
•To monitor the adequacy of health and safety communication and publicity in the workplace.
•To study accident, dangerous occurrence and notifiable disease statistics and trends, so that reports can be made on unsafe and unhealthy conditions and practices, together with recommendations for corrective action.
•To examine safety inspection reports on a similar basis.

Meetings in 2016/17

The Health and Safety Committee will meet on Wednesdays at 2.00 pm on the following dates:

5 October 2016
11 January 2017
5 April 2017

Top of Page

Joint Negotiating and Consultative Committee

Composition:

Chairperson: Vice-Chancellor or nominee
Members: Director of Human Resources
Other relevant senior managers
A total of up to 12 representatives drawn from the combined recognised Trade Unions to include at least one representative from each of UCU, Unison and GMB and to include representatives of RWCMD and The College Merthyr Tydfil.

Membership:

Management representatives:
Chairperson: Julie Lydon Vice-Chancellor
Catherine Thomas Director of Human Resources
Other relevant senior managers – To be confirmed
Trade Union representatives:
UNISON As appropriate
GMB As appropriate
UCU As appropriate

Terms of Reference

The purpose of this meeting is to enable effective consultation and where appropriate, negotiation arrangements for staff covered by Recognition Agreements between the University and its recognised Trade Unions.

The scope of Trade Union representation relates to those concerned with:

Terms and conditions of employment or the physical conditions in which staff are required to work e.g. pay (specifically excluding collective pay bargaining which is facilitated by national cross-sector arrangements), hours of work, annual leave, sick pay, pensions, staff development, equality of opportunity.

The physical conditions in which staff are required to work, including matters relating to Health & safety other than where such matters are within the remit of the University’s Health & Safety Committee

Recruitment and Selection, conduct and capability

Workforce planning to include management of structural change, redundancy, and end of fixed term contracts;

Allocation of work or duties between individual employees and/or groups

Facilities for Trade Union representatives

Machinery for consultation and negotiation

Meetings in 2016/17

The JNCC will meet on Thursdays at 2.00 pm on the following dates:

15 December 2016
9 March 2017
6 July 2017

Top of Page

Academic Common Interest Group

Composition:

4 Management representatives
4 UCU representatives (representing Higher and Further Education across the University, The College Merthyr Tydfil and RWCMD)
On occasions the numbers may vary to suit particular circumstances

Membership

Management representatives:
Graham Rogers Chairperson, Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Student Support and Regional Partnerships)
Dean of Faculty– to be confirmed
Ms Catherine Thomas Director of Human Resources
Trade Union representatives: As Appropriate

Terms of Reference:

The purpose of this meeting, which is a sub-group of the JNCC, is to provide opportunity for matters within the remit of JNCC which are specific to academic staff to be discussed by management and the recognised Trade Unions

Meetings in 2016/17

The Academic Common Interest Group will meet on Wednesdays at 2.00 pm on the following dates:

9 November 2016
1 February 2017
26 April 2017

Top of Page

Senior Administration Forum

Composition

Deputy Vice Chancellor Strategic Resources (Chair)
PA to Deputy Vice Chancellor Strategic Resources (Secretary)

Head of Administration and Campus Operations x 4 Faculties
Representation from Financial and Infrastructure Services
Representative from Governance and Quality Development
Representation from IT – Assistant Head (Development Services)
Representation from Marketing and & Student Recruitment
Representation from Organisational Development

Representatives from Corporate Directors will be invited to address relevant issues on the agenda.
Membership
Chairperson: Huw Williams, Deputy Vice Chancellor Strategic Resources
Secretary: Kirsten Offer

Head of Administration from all Faculties:
Business and Society: Hayley Burns
Computing, Engineering and Science: Bruce Hurrell
Creative Industries: Ruth Ryder
Life Sciences and Education: Mal Scofield

Financial and Infrastructure Services:
Lisa Davies; Paul Llewellyn

Governance and Quality:
William Callaway; Mary Hulford

IT representation: Anthony Evans
M&SR representation: Ioan Evans
Organisational Development Representation: Jan Keelan

Terms of Reference
1. To be responsible for the co-ordination and oversight of administrative and business processes across University operations.
2. To establish and monitor key performance indicators/reports relating to the operation of University administration.
3. To consider the impact of proposals being made by relevant committees/boards/groups within the University which impact administration.
4. To initiate reviews of business process to ensure they are aligned to strategic objectives and to assess efficacy, efficiency and effectiveness. To improve channels of communication, knowledge, training and expertise.

Meetings in 2016/17

The Senior Administration Forum will meet on Fridays at 10.00 am on the following dates (unless otherwise specified):

29 September 2016 (Thursday)
28 October 2016
25 November 2016
27 January 2017
24 February 2017
30 March 2017 (Thursday)
28 April 2017
26 May 2017
29 June 2017 (Thursday)
28 July 2017
25 August 2017

Top of Page

Space Management Group

Composition

Chairperson: Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Strategic Resources)
Faculty Representatives
Deputy Academic Registrar (advising on programme development and planning)
Director of Estates & Facilities (advising on estates and facilities matters)
Head of Finance (advising on financial/resource matters)
Deputy Head of Estates & Facilities (advising on building development)
Head of Timetabling (advising on timetabling matters)
Head of Information Systems (advising on teaching and learning technologies)
Secretary: Space Manager (advising on the design and management of space)

Membership

Huw Williams Chairperson, Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Strategic Resources)
Dr Bruce Hurrell Faculty Representative, FAT
Dr Norman Woolley Faculty Representative, LSE
Diana Stonefield Faculty Representative, FBS
Laura Davies Faculty Representative, CCI
Alun Woodruff Director of Estates
Wyn Williams Deputy Head of Estates and Facilities
Kathryn Williams Head of Finance
Alan Davies Head of Information Systems
Sara Moggridge Deputy Academic Registrar
Mel Powney Head of Timetabling
Greg Kemp Secretary, Space Manager

Terms of Reference

1. Continue to improve space management performance at the University.
2. Manage the allocation of space in line with University strategy.
3. Maintain an equitable allocation for all University space users.
4. Prioritise the allocation of space where competing needs exist.
5. Ensure that the University’s vision and strategy for learning is reflected in the provision of appropriate spaces throughout the Estate.
6. Continue to develop policy, procedures and guidelines to improve the working environment for all staff and students.
7. Comment and make recommendations in respect of significant proposals for change in the allocation, use or reconfiguration of space.
8. Review, critically, current usage of space.

Meetings in 2016/17

The Space Management Group will meet on Fridays at 9.00 am on the following dates:

9 September 2016
28 October 2016
20 January 2017
17 March 2017
21 April 2017
23 June 2017

Top of Page

Student Experience Group

MEMBERSHIP

Ben Calvert, PVC Learning, Teaching and Student Experience (Chair)
Paula Keys, (Secretary)
Karen Fitzgibbon, Head of Student Experience (FBS)
Louise Purnell, Head of Student Experience (CES)
Huw Swayne, Head of Student Experience (CI)
Norman Woolley, Head of Student Experience (LSE)
Sara Moggridge, Deputy Academic Registrar
Gillian Jack, Executive Director (Student & Campus Services)
Emma Adamson, Director of Learning Services
Sharon Jones, Director of Student Services
Claire Kell, Director of CELT
Martin Lynch, Learning Systems Manager
Paulette Makepeace, Head of IT User Services
SU President and SU CEO

Additional members may be co-opted for areas which require specialist input, for example Enquiries & Admissions in relation to the pre-enrolment student experience.

TERMS OF REFERENCE

The group is responsible for the improvement of the student experience via the implementation of the Student Experience Plan and the meeting of Corporate Performance Indicators in respect to student satisfaction, retention and progression and student engagement.
1. The development and oversight of the University Student Experience Plan – this will involve the formal reporting of project lines associated with the Student Journey
2. Oversee the planning, management and review of results of key student surveys including the National Student Survey, the Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey, Internal Course & Module Evaluation, Postgraduate Research Experience Survey and the International Student Barometer.
3. Operational management and oversight of key USW retention initiatives, and the development of retention metrics
4. Operational management and oversight of processes to monitor student engagement, success and progression
5. Oversight of procedures to ensure timely academic advice and guidance on student progress and achievement.
6. The oversight and development of key course documentation and development of course related infrastructure, including the VLE
7. Consideration of the impact of administrative processes on the student experience.
8. Oversight of the assessment lifecycle.
9. To evaluate and develop University approaches to student engagement, including liaison with the SU on the effectiveness of the Course Representation system
10. To manage a communication strategy for the work undertaken

FREQUENCY OF MEETINGS

The group will be project based and will focus on review, action and implementation of key procedures. As a result, it is anticipated that the group will meet monthly throughout the year to monitor progress and update on deliverables.

Top of Page

Support Staff Common Interest Group

Composition:

4 Management representatives
Up to 4 UNISON representatives representing Higher Education
Up to 2 GMB representatives representing Higher Education
On occasions the numbers may vary to suit particular circumstances.

Membership:

Management representatives:
Huw Williams Chairperson, Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Strategic Resources)
Tudor Williams Deputy Director of Campus Services
Catherine Thomas Director of Human Resources
As Required Trade Union representatives

Terms of Reference

The purpose of this meeting, which is a sub-group of the JNCC, is to provide opportunity for matters within the remit of JNCC which are specific to support staff to be discussed by management and the recognised Trade Unions

Meetings in 2016/17

The Support Staff Common Interest Group will meet on Thursdays at 2.00 pm on the following dates:

13 October 2016
19 January 2017
18 May 2017

Top of Page

Welsh Language Scheme Steering Group

Membership
William Callaway, University Secretary (Chairperson)
Gwawr Jones, Head of the Welsh Unit and Welsh Language Officer (Secretary)
Catrin Thomas Welsh Language Assistant/Translator (Clerk)
Dai Williams, Coleg Cymraeg Cenedlaethol Branch Officer
Helen Prosser, Director of Centre of Welsh for Adults
Jonathan Martin, The College Merthyr Tydfil
Nia Brodrick, Bilingual Champion, The College Merthyr Tydfil
Ioan Evans, Marketing and Student Recruitment Representative
Iestyn Henson, RWCMD
Rebecca Jones Welsh Schools and Colleges Liaison Officer
Ryan Cullen, Human Resources Department Representative
To be invited to attend meetings containing relevant agenda items:
Susanne Smith, IT Services Representative
Liam Sullivan, Estates and Facilities Representative
Sara Moggridge/Liam Bryson, Student Administration Representative
Gillian Jack, Student Support and Library Services
Lisa Lewis, Chair of the Coleg Cymraeg Cenedlaethol Branch Committee

Terms of Reference

To assist the University Secretary and Clerk to the Governors:
• in monitoring the implementation of and compliance with the Welsh Language Scheme;
• in developing and enhancing the University’s use of the Welsh language in preparation for the implementation of the Welsh Language Standards which will be published by the Welsh Government in 2014.

Meetings in 2016/17

The Welsh Language Steering Group will meet on Wednesdays at 10.00 am on the following dates:

12 October 2016
8 March 2017
14 June 2017

Top of Page

National Student Survey Operational Group

Composition

Chairperson: Pro Vice-Chancellor (Student Experience) or nominee
Project Manager, National Student Survey
NSS Operational Manager
Campus Student Administration Managers
Faculty Heads of Student Experience
A representative of the Planning and Reporting Unit, Academic Registry
A representative of the Collaborative Unit
Representative of the Students’ Unions plus at least one Student Voice Rep

Membership

Chairperson, Prof Helen Langton (in the first instance) Project Manager, NSS: Denize McIntyre
NSS Operational Manager (Secretary): Iz McAuliffe
Campus Student Administration Managers:* Leann Thomas (Cardiff), Chris Griffiths (Treforest), Becky Clements (Caerleon & City), Theresa Watts (Glyntaff), Iestyn Henson (RWCMD)
Heads of Student Experience: Dr Karen Fitzgibbon, Sue Stocking, Norman Woolley, Mary Traynor
Representative of the Planning & Reporting Unit: Tracy Bennett or nominee
Representative of the Collaborative Unit: Catherine Moss
Representative of the Students’ Unions: Roz Green-Innes (VP Cardiff), plus SVR Frankie Ridley (FBS), Maksymilian Karczmar (CI)

Terms of Reference

1. To consider the annual NSS promotional strategies for the University

2. To advise the Executive Team and Deans of Faculty on all issues affecting the running of, and student participation in the NSS including:
a) To contribute to the overall planning and implementation of the NSS at the University to improve students’ and staff understanding of its purpose.
b) To advance the efficiency of the National Student Survey operation through the provision and quality checking of the NSS contact data.
c) To promote students’ participation in the NSS; both directly to students and via staff networks.
d)To monitor and take action on weekly response rates statistics during the NSS period each academic year to maximise participation rates.
e) To share best practice examples of activities undertaken to promote the NSS to staff and students.

Meetings in 2016/17

The National Student Survey Operational Group will meet on Thursdays at 9.00 am on the following dates:

12 January 2017
2 February 2017
23 February 2017
9 March 2017
30 March 2017
20 April 2017